Error: Load/Save: Reached end of file when reading an object

This forum is assigned for bug reporting. Be as much accurate as you are possible.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

davecharman

Error: Load/Save: Reached end of file when reading an object

Post by davecharman »

Hi, using latest version of madrix on Win 7 Home Premium, today this error message came up whilst creating cues "Error: Load/Save: Reached end of file when reading an object" once this message appears and I close madrix when I try to re-open my setup file I get the message: "Reached end of file while reading object" and my setup is unable to load ?? can anyone give me some hints to resolve this ? and are my setup files recoverable ? thanks
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Re: Error: Load/Save: Reached end of file when reading an ob

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi,

I am sorry to hear about this.
I am assuming that your computer ran out of memory (RAM to use) and therefore wasn't able to correctly save the MADRIX Setup File anymore.

Did you by any chance use a lot of images/pictures and load them into MADRIX using the SCE Bitmap effect?

Feel free to send us your files to info[at]madrix.com and we will have a closer look. Please send
1) the MADRIX Setup File (*.ms2)
2) the Logfile (go to Tools > Logfile > Save To File...).

Thank you.
davecharman

Post by davecharman »

Just like to say this problem reoccurred again tonight half way through a club opening night on a new pc with a fresh Installation of madrix, very disappointed as when this happens it corrupts the setup file to the extent that its unusable, so a whole day of programming wasted and an embarrassing opening night !!!!! My setup file consisted 90% of internal effect generators and about 10% of .avi files, noticed that if the .avi files where left running for periods of time they'd crash madrix, not a major issue but when madrix crashes half way through a show and renders the setup file void leaving you with a blank setup and having to reprogram completely during a show which was a real let down, rant over but would like to know what's causing this and more importantly can the setup file be recovered ?
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi Dave,

I would to love to start working with you on this issue.
Can you please send your MADRIX Setup Files, your Logfiles, and sample *.avi files to info[at]madrix.com?

I can honestly say that we don't have such an issue with another installation, at least that we know of.
When you are saying that *.avi files crash MADRIX, then this is a first hint. There may be factors outside the scope of MADRIX causing this issue and if you can send us the files, we will try to find anything that points towards the problem.

Until we know what is causing this, I strongly recommend to regularly create backup files of any shows that you program. At this point, I don't think the setup files can be recovered.

Please send us the files. Thank you for your help!
davecharman

Post by davecharman »

Hi, fortunatley this error hasnt re-ocuured since, but its made me realise the imprtance of keeping a backup, i now save my setup file twice ie origianal, and original copy so hopefully the bugs solved, thanks for your replies ;-)
ConjuS

Post by ConjuS »

Same happened here
Did you by any chance use a lot of images/pictures and load them into MADRIX using the SCE Bitmap effect?
I think that happened in my case. Thankfully the Patch-File is separated and survived it.

Should I also send the setup+Logfile to the email-address mentioned above?
Any chance to save the file?

Btw: The last time I left the matrix-Computer it was running properly, but I think when the stuff left the club they simply switched the fuse of and probably the computer didn't shut down correctly.
Is it possible, that this caused the crash?
Martin - MADRIX

Post by Martin - MADRIX »

Hi ConjuS,

In your case, there are two scenarios possible.

A) SCE Bitmap is the cause of this and your computer ran out of memory. MADRIX needs to convert images internally. The conversion target file format uses more memory/has a bigger file size than the images you might load into MADRIX.

The next generation of MADRIX (MADRIX 3) will see improvements in that area.

B) MADRIX was reading from the Setup File when the computer disconnected from power which caused a corrupt file. Not shutting down the computer can always be an issue since this is something that Windows doesn't like at all. It is more of a general problem that can affect all software that is running as well as Windows itself.

However, I don't think the file can be recovered, but please feel free to send it to our e-mail address and we'll have a look.

Please allow me to provide some tips as well:

1) As was mentioned earlier, making a backup copy is recommended when working with computers.

2) Please try to resize images before loading them into MADRIX. The user manual states:

Important Notes

Please do use a pictures with a pixel resolution according to the size of your LED matrix!

It is not useful to use a resolution of 3000x2000 pixels if your LED matrix has a size of 192x128, for example. Please resize your pictures before using them in MADRIX. Please do also use 72 DPI. Both means will improve performance considerably. At the same time, you will avoid that the RAM of your computer will overload.

Thank you!
ConjuS

Post by ConjuS »

Ok, thanks for your hints!
I will resize the pictures and make a triple Backup.
While I was sending you the file today, I recognized my setup-file is only 0kb big. Which is reallyyy strange. Looks like Madrix emptied it during crashing!?
Martin - MADRIX

Post by Martin - MADRIX »

Hi,

If the file size is only 0kb, we probably won't have any chance. In this case there was absolutely no memory available anymore for the computer and the file could not be written anymore to the end, which results in an empty file.

I am sorry it happened.
beimage

Post by beimage »

i have't load image into MADRIX before, all i have done is using an external image program without applying SCE Bitmap effect. but i would very much like to use MADRIX and have a try.