LED Video Wall Controller

grjmmr

LED Video Wall Controller

Post by grjmmr »

I started this project over the summer and I have gotten in over my head. I created a 128*64 pixel banner using 16*16 ws2812b grids for my band. The idea is I wanted to run either Madrix or another software and use the banner to do media/ band name or light shows. I ended up buying 2 controllers to run the banner ; each running a 128*128 grid.

The Good news; it works.

The Bad news; Madrix doesn't recognize the controllers nor does the other software. I talked to the company afterwords and they neglected to tell me that the controllers do not play well with other companies software. Their work around was to load the banner up in LED Edit and then use the screen shot mode and hover over the output screen of Madrix or the other software.

So question number one; what Madrix controller would be the most cost effective method of controlling my banner?

Question number two; Since I am not going to run any other dmx fixtures and am hoping to run artnet to the pixel banner; can I get by with 1 key or do I need multiple keys.

[Slightly Edited By Moderator]
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: LED Video Wall Controller

Post by Guertler »

Hello grjmmr,
Welcome to the MADRIX forum.

Because of the WS2812b controlled fixtures you can use the MADRIX NEBULA to control the desired banner.
Every NEBULA can control up to 1360 RGB pixels. You will need to control 8192 RGB pixels (128x64). That means you will need 6 NEBULAs.

Regarding the MADRIX software you will need a MADRIX 5 KEY professional to unlock the needed 48 DMX universes. With the MADRIX 5 KEY professional you can control up to 128 DMX universes. With this license you will have enough free DMX universes to control additional lights which are connected via Art-Net for example. You don't need a second MADRIX KEY.
SVW

Post by SVW »

I want to work with ledstrips WS2812B. (White, Red and Green cable (data))
How must I connect this?

I thought:
PC with Madrix
UTP to ARTnet DMX controller.
Controller met DMX to DMX WS2812B

Is this correct?
With WS2812B, is every pixel 3 canals or still one?

Thanks
Schulze
Support
Support

Post by Schulze »

Hi SVW,

You would need:
- A PC with MADRIX and a MADRIX 5 KEY.
- An Art-Net/sACN to SPI interface (which supports WS2812B).

I highly recommend to use our MADRIX NEBULA, which is a reliable 2 port SPI pixel tape driver/interface. Each NEBULA drives up to 1360 RGB pixels and allows you to directly control over 35 supported SPI protocols (including WS2812B). MADRIX NEBULA receives control data over Ethernet network (Art-Net, sACN) or USB and is built to provide excellent image quality. Data is directly converted into SPI without the need for an additional interface.

More information about the MADRIX NEBULA is available at our homepage via:
https://www.madrix.com/products/nebula

If you are already using a MADRIX NEBULA, please follow the link below for further information about the wiring:
http://help.madrix.com/qsg/Quick_Start_ ... NEBULA.pdf

"With WS2812B, is every pixel 3 canals or still one?"
- This depends on the used tape. There are different tapes on the market, comming with either 1, 3 and 4 color channels (White, RGB, RGBW) per pixel.

I hope this helps you.
SVW

Post by SVW »

Hi Schulze

Thanks for your comment.
The LEDstrips that I use are SMD 5050 RGB.
Do you now how many canals this need?

Thanks
Schulze
Support
Support

Post by Schulze »

Hi SVW,

"SMD 5050" means that the housing of the LED is measuring 5mm x 5mm.
The number of channels is not derivable from this information.

Please have a look at the datasheet of the LED strip to gather the information.

Thank you.