Matrix response...

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

zeighty

Matrix response...

Post by zeighty »

Hey Madrix Team,
I am not sure how something works and need some help understanding...
I will send my setup file to info(at)madrix.com.

I have setup a matrix, which is similar to one you reviewed not too long ago for me.
This matrix has 20 fixtures. 16 used as dimmer (Generic light 1 pixel) and 4 RGBW fixtures (generic RGBW 1 pixel).

I have two layers.
1 - Name: 16 Dim Set to: M2L Drops Interval - Only one change - 700 BPM
2 - Name: 4 4chn RGBW Set to: M2L Shapes - Default settings

I mapped the 16 1channel light fixtures to the first 16 blocks on the matrix to layer 1.
The remaining 4 4 channel fixtures are mapped to layer 2

I have had a most difficult time using the patch. I really don't have an understanding of patch count, start and offset.
When I added my first fixtures I set the placement as 8x2.
The next fixtures use 4 dmx channels so I gave it a start position of x=17. That didn't work. Then I kept guessing. When I checked using Patch window the DMX channels I noticed that I had too many. I noticed that some of my 4 channel RGBW fixtures had the same channel as a 1 channel light. So I guessed that I had a fixture on top of another; after some clicking a dragging I put the matrix in the config (all fixtures in their places and the extras deleted) that I thought it was in to start with and I saved it.
This happened though I did not have overlap turned on and I did not get the warning/error message about an overlap condition.
I should have been using a total of 32 channels and I had 16 too many.

A really good video tutorial on the patch would be great.

Here is my question (or two).
I am using traditional American Christmas music and I noticed that the fixtures on the preview monitors do not respond as i hoped they would. On very soft music and some not so soft, there is no activity on any channels (on the preview monitor). My 2 layer is predominately using only the first and second fixtures (channels 17-20, 21-24). Many times the music is playing and there are no active (fixtures).

Is there any way to make Madrix more sensitive (respective of the fixtures that are dormant)? I don't know how the music is interpreted to produce action on any particular fixture. So I am not sure I am communicating my concerns very well.

I have noticed that when I use S2Ls there is more activity, but from what I read S2L may not produce the results I want (activity based on the music, not just sound).

I also would like to see each channel of the 4 channel fixtures in the matrix, but I don't know that it can be done therefore my map on layer 2 is only the first 4 blocks of the matrix. I also do not know how to hide the blocks not needed yet displayed on the preview.

Thanks for the excellent responses you have provided every time I ask questions.

Have a wonderful day.
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: Matrix response...

Post by Guertler »

Hello zeighty,
You can change the global audio performance in the "Audio Performance" dialog. To open the "Audio Performance" dialog please go in MADRIX to "Preferences > Audio Performance...". A new window will be opened and you can change the settings. With this link you can learn more about the Audio Performance:
http://help.madrix.com/m3/html/madrix/i ... ation.html
Regarding your second question: It is not possible to hide the pixels in a line where fixtures are patched. But you can hide a column or row of pixels where no fixtures are patched by confirming the Patch Size.
You also have the posibility to use different patch masks in the Previews of MADRIX.
Here you will find some more information about the different options of the Previews in MADRIX:
http://help.madrix.com/m3/html/madrix/i ... indow.html
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again!
Thank you.