Madrix blocks artnet port even on unused network cards?

This is the forum, where you can add your wishes and feature requests.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

vogtitec

Madrix blocks artnet port even on unused network cards?

Post by vogtitec »

Hi,
I encountered a problem using a second software (i.e. LumiDMX), which should have access to a second network card on my PC for artnet control. I have two cards with completely different IP Adresses (e.g. one network 192.168.1.xxx, the other 2.2.2.xxx). While LumiDMX can be configured to bind only to a specific network card, as soon as Madrix is started, it not only blocks the artnet port on the activated artnet address (e.g. 2.2.2.2)/network, but also the artnet port of the other network, which is disabled (turned off) in Madrix.
So LumiDMX can't get control of this other network, consequently doesn't work any more (which it does fine, if Madrix is not running!).
So my question or request is:
Can Madrix be configured to only bind to a specific network card, so that it would be possible to use another artnet software on the same computer???
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Re: Madrix blocks artnet port even on unused network cards?

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi,
Thank you for your inquiry!
– When using Art-Net, MADRIX will access all network cards. This has the advantage that a PollReply (message to find all connected devices in the network) can be sent out across all cards and that Art-Net traffic can actually be split across several network cards if required.
– In doing so, MADRIX will open a so-called Shared Socket. This will make it possible for a second software to work with Art-Net as well if the other software also uses the shared-socket method.
– Our test show that the software that accesses Art-Net first, is able to send and receive Art-Net data, while the second software will be able to send.
– That means, that MADRIX is already prepared to work together with other software applications.
– However, our assessment of your situation is that LumiDMX tries to bind the Art-Net socket exclusively, which will fail if a second software also wants to have access to Art-Net. We assume they do so because they want to make sure to be able to send and receive.
– In MADRIX it is not possible to bind to s specific network card. (I will provide this feedback with the developers though.)
– Could you please inquire with LumiDMX about the Shared Socket as this will be your option to operate both softwares together.
– Or another option could be to run one of the applications in a virtual machine on this computer to circumvent the issue.
Thanks!