Updated again... Matrix with more than one fixture type...

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

zeighty

Updated again... Matrix with more than one fixture type...

Post by zeighty »

Forgive me for editing this post so many times. I may have answered my own questions after trying several things.

I used the Matrix Generator to create a matrix with x=8 & y=2 for a total fixture count of 16. These are generic 1 channel light fixtures.

For the second 16:
Using the Patch editor I added 6 generic RGB Light 1 Pixel fixtures to the matrix. Each of the fixtures takes 3 DMX channels except for fixture 6 as there is only 1 channel left for it to take. This will basically have a dimmer pack acting like an RGB controller. 1 channel of the controller for each of the 3 possible values (RGB).
I thought that this would result in only 6 fixtures added to the matrix, but it appears that there are 6 patches to the matrix, but I had to resize the matrix itself to show all 32 channels of the two controllers or I would get the "overlap" error.
The reason I thought that I would only see 6 blocks in the preview monitor for the RGB is that when the values change it would be changing multiple channels.
Example:
Red are channels 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16
Green are channels 2, 5, 8, 11, 14
Blue are channels 3, 6, 9, 12, 15

So lets say that RGB fixture 1 is top left and orientation is horizontal. The DMX value is 255. So wouldn't that send DMX 255 to channels 1, 4,7, 10,13,16. Is there a way to test this?

Is this correct: 5 fixtures with 3 channels used for each and one fixture with only one channel available.

When I save the patch file, after resizing the matrix to x=8, y=4, 32 channels showed up in the matrix.

To get separate effects for each type of fixture I had to create 2 layers.
For the first layer I used the effect "M2L Drops Interval" and mapped the 16 generic 1 channel light fixtures to it.
For the second layer I am using the effect "M2L Shapes Circles" and mapped the 6 RGB fixtures to it.

The matrix in the preview pane shows 16 blocks (channels) of RGB color and 16 white to black blocks.

Everything seems okay, but I have concern. If I do not resize the matrix to greater than 100% in the map function for the RGB fixtures, it appears that some channels are not responding or at best seldom responding.

I will be glad to send you my setup file if that would help you see what I am talking about.
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Re: Updated again... Matrix with more than one fixture type.

Post by Fritzsche »

Hello zeighty,

Thank you very much for taking the time to create this post!

In order to be able to help you in the best way, it would help immensely if you could please let us know what you are trying to achieve. Then, we will help you on how we can realize this with MADRIX.

You have 16 1-channel fixtures, correct?
And how would you like to control the dimmer pack? What should it do or which DMX signals should it receive? How does this fixture operate?

I am sensing that you are very focused on a channel-based workflow. We will try our best to show you how MADRIX works!

The Patch will mainly tell MADRIX how many fixtures you are using, which DMX address each has, and where they are located on the installation/matrix/patch.

So, in order to send DMX 255 to channels , you could go a number of routes. But in order to see which is the best route, it would help a lot to know what you were trying to achieve with the RGB fixtures. Sending us the Setup file would be great as well. Please use info[at]madrix.com for this.

Thank you!
zeighty

Post by zeighty »

Thank for your kind words.
I will send the file to you within a day, probably tonight.

I have two Light-o-Rama controllers (LOR). They are usually used for creating Christmas Light shows. Each controller has 16 channels (1-16).
Each of these channels is controlling a separate AC line which you plug in your Christmas lights. No individual control of pixels with this setup, just strings of lights.

There is a YouTube user that posted a "how-to" video to sync music to lights without sequencing using LOR controllers. He used Madrix. I was intrigued and started looking into what could be done and liked Madrix enough to purchase it though it is very costly for what I aim to use it to do.
LOR also sells software that you use to create sequences to music.
Sequencing is extremely time consuming - 3-6 hours per minute of music.

Instead of me trying to articulate what I am attempting to do, it would be so much faster if you could take a look at the video.
There are 3 different ways to set up Madrix in the video. I am using the first and the last one and I obviously need them in the same matrix (which is not documented on the video).

Here is the link: http://youtu.be/aArcIiAbrD4
and here is the video title in case the link does not work:
"Sequencing made easy with MADRIX"

I can do the first one with no problem, but adding the second fixture type using the Patch has been a real challenge. I thought I had it and tested it last night and found that the channels I thought were mapped to M2L Drops Interval was just the opposite and appeared to be mapped to M2L Color Shapes.
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

Thank you for sending the Setup file! We have replied by e-mail. I think you got it now.

Thanks!